Monday 30 April 2012

Developing Ideas Through Sketchbooks



So, I haven't been very sketchy lately.  I am in the process of transitioning from a partner in a consulting firm to a guy with a drafting table, and realizing that somewhere deep within is an artist trying to break free.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the ideas and projects I was engaged in way back when as a young graduate.  I brought home a carving I did years ago and coincidentally found and old sketchbook with some of  the notations leading up to that piece.  It was inspired by an exposed striation of rock with a fault on a  bluff in the Kananksis Valley of Alberta that I photographed and drew one weekend afternoon, the summer I worked in Calgary.  I'll have to dig a little deeper and find the sketch.  The gestation took a few years and some digestion of the wisdom that my Professor , Jim Belisle,  gifted me in the School of Landscape Architecture.

The carving is about 24" long and is basswood.  I have looked at it for years and thought I'd like to make another  piece that was much longer and followed the curves down to the base. That may happen this fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment