Thursday 21 November 2013

Tea time in France

It was cool and damp for most of my trip, but I did manage to find the occasional coffee house with a view.  Sketching inevitably amuses the waiters, particularly when caught so absorbed that I was dipping my brush in my tea, instead of my water.  That's a really bad idea as there are some nasty things in watercolour pigments, so I ordered a fresh pot of tea.

I could do the same thing here at home, but when in a different place all I can see are potential compositions.  It's attitude as much as observation and the challenge is to see the familiar with fresh eyes.

2 comments:

  1. It's great to see your sketches again John. I hope you sold the book idea while you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shari. The book fair was fantastic and I learned something with every conversation. I have some leads for publishers but the real benefit was a renewal of enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete