Friday 7 June 2013

Santiago de Compostela

I arrived home from Spain yesterday, complete with my sketches done while walking the Camino de Santaigo. I did about 90 sketches, which I plan to do organise into a book over the next few weeks.  I'll post some of these here on the blog, starting with these from the final days of the trip.

I started on May 3rd in  St. Jean Pier de Port, France and walked into Santiago de Compostella this Monday, June 3rd. A 32 day walk.

It was an challenging but immensely rewarding journey whose only disappointment was not having more time in the vibrant city of Santaigo de Compostella.  I obtained my compostella (Pilgrim's certificate)  on Monday and attended the Pilgrim's mass at the Cathedral on Tuesday.

 The service was beautiful and done in several languages. It happened that the choir from Notre Dame University was visiting and filled the cathedral with beautiful music. The highlight was the swinging of the huge incensory which bellowed frankincense smoke to purify the gathered pilgrims. That is the large object hanging in the lower sketch.










2 comments:

  1. Love your sketches and I can't wait to buy a copy of your book, katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches. I arrived at Santiago de compostela on 18 May 2023. I really missed my first and solo Camino walks

    ReplyDelete