Monday 29 April 2013

Sketcher's Travel Kit

So I am headed off for an adventure in Spain. I'm going there to walk the Camino and have been obsessively selecting equipment and clothing to keep my pack weight to an absolute minimum.  A large part of the trip will be sketching, but I have been very disciplined to keep that kit minimal also.

I have two small Laloran sketchbooks (approx. 5 1/2" x 8',  1 landscape, 1 portrait) which are the heavy things.  I have a brush protector with 3 brushes - No 12, 4 and a 3/4" flat.  A few pencils , 2  trusty Lamy pens and some Noodler's Bulletproof Black Ink in a plastic bottle, double sealed in zip-lock plastic bags.  A collapsible cup for water and  a nice little watercolour field box with 2 yellows, 2 reds, 2 browns , 3 blues , 2 greens and ochre.  I am also taking a few tubes to provide some different primaries  - cadmium red and cerulean blue and a what I think of as "Shari Blaukopf's Barcelona Primaries" - Cadmium Orange, Ultramarine Blue and  Rose Madder. Shari is one of my Urban Sketching mentors and that palette is what she intends to use in her workshop this summer at the Symposium in Barcelona.   I intend to to use Shari's primaries as much as possible to give my sketches continuity. I'm debating throwing another sketchbook in my pack as, the ultimate disappointment would be to run out of paper on this trip of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment