Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Three Watchmen

This sculpture by Haida artist Bill Hart was installed a few weeks ago, near the National Gallery of Canada, here in Ottawa.  Its is 10m tall but seems smaller out in the landscape. It is immaculately crafted and projects a calm and reassuring presence. Chief Hart was compensated for the work, but nonetheless I regard it as a gift and am proud and pleased that the watchmen are now here guarding Ottawa and Canada.

As part of his training, Chief Hart worked with Bill Reid, another eminent Haida artist and like Reid has moved his work beyond traditional forms and motifs, while strongly integrating Haida cultural forms and legends. It is cast bronze which is not a traditional Haida material, but will be extremely durable and develop a rich patina get as it weathers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,
    I found your watchmen while looking for "sketch journal". It reminded me of our holiday in BC, where we saw the Raven and the First Men by Bill Reid. Unfortunately I can't see whether I can post my sketch here. I like your totem images, all the best, Peter Osborne, St Albans, England. 8 March 2013

    ReplyDelete